The Flat River Historical Museum stands on the most historic site in Greenville. It was here in Greenville, Michigan that John Green, of Fulton County, New York, chose to build his cabin in 1844; and with the help of his brother-in-law, Samuel Demorest, and Demorests' sons, Clark and Samuel, constructed a dam across the Flat River and built a sawmill. With a vast forest of white pine on the North bank of the river the history of Danes in Michigan began.
Greenville is the proud home of the Meijer legacy. The sign recounts the history of the first Meijer Barber shop to the birth of the Meijer retail store franchise.
The many fine artifacts and exhibits located in the two museum buildings give a real view of the past in the Greenville area. They include house hold, family, military, lumbering items and industrial products. On the grounds you will see a very large stump puller from the early 1900s. There is also a stone mill wheel and an 800 lb. bell from the old City Hall tower. The five foot clock is from Central School as are two cornerstones from the original 1912 construction. Inside, the center room displays include historically significant exhibits relating to our founder John Green. The west hall boasts an extensive display of musical instruments and a large display of Indian artifacts related to the Great Lakes. Finally, classic films can be seen in a replica of the old 30 seat Silver Theatre. Upstairs the museum offers 13 period rooms portraying lifestyles of the early settlers. These re-creations include John Greens' log cabin, a barber shop, one room school house, country store, telegraph office and more. The lower level contains many items that were essential to the daily life of the original residents of the area.
Visit the sites of many Indian Trails that ran through Greenville.
At our gift shop you can purchase items for children and adults alike as well as tickets for the museum and donations.
OPEN SAT. & SUN
2 PM - 4:30 PM
Greenville, Michigan 48838
Tours, Meetings and Genealogy Research
Call - 616-754-5296 or email us at: